Today has definitely been a “glass 3/4 empty” kind of day. The kind of day where life poos in your Cheerios and then has flatulence to boot. I don’t feel I am exaggerating when I say that today lived up to the “life is a dirty rotten bastard” adage. If it isn’t an adage yet, it will be.
Okay, deep and cleansing breaths, this is not a blog on my crappy day (God what a great and compelling title that would be for a blog). I was banging my head into a wall trying to think of a cooking tip and all thoughts of how awful today was kept intruding. I was stern with myself and said “When life hands you lemons…slice those bad boys up and add them to your vodka tonic!” So today will be about the lemon. Because I was a slacker last week, I will include a couple of lemon related tips.
- When choosing lemons, go for the firm one with smooth, shiny skin.
- To get more juice out of your lemon, nuke it on high for 10-20 seconds and/or rub between your hands.
- Lemon zest is the yellow bit of the skin. Once you reach the white part stop. That is the pith and is bitter.
- Lemon juice is great for preventing discoloration in food, like sliced apples.
- Lemons are a great way to remove the scent from hands, cutting boards, knives, etc.
- Lemons help fight scurvy.
- Lemons are the perfect garnish for a vodka tonic when buying a drink for the brilliant author of this blog.